There are roughly the following stages:
- Beginning: During this period the learner is expected to learn all the forms and understand the requirements and torso methods. This stage typically lasts for a year.
- Intermediate: Here the learner focuses on learning the body coordination. This typically lasts for a year.
- Advanced I: Here Wu (Hao) style requires that the learner grasp the separation of yi (intention) and qi (energy). Starting from this stage, each person’s progress is different and no time period is set.
- Advanced II: Here Wu (Hao) style requires the learner to grasp the method of ching (Chinese for ‘clear’). It’s beyond the scope of this FAQ to go over it in detail for now.
- Advanced III: Here Wu (Hao) style requires the learner to grasp the the method of ling (Chinese for ‘agility’). Again, the detail of this is beyond the scope of this FAQ.